The Separation from Antignac
Already during the 18th century, Muradès tried to separate from Vignonnet and Antignac. In 1717, Father Veyssier from Pouzadoux (we will talk about him at greater length) continued the payment of a loan to the marquis de Chabannes-Curton, to build a chapel in his native village.
Almost at the same time, hardly a few years later around 1721, the Marchioness of Bourbon-Malauze, owner of the castle of Murat la Rabbe, started the construction of a church in la Monselie - and not in Pratoupy as it is reported by error. Indeed one can see some vestiges of it at the chevet of the present church. In the thought of the noble lady, this chapel was to be set up later as a parish church, after the name of Muradès. The masonry work was completed, as reported by the tradition, only the roof remained to be raised, but some malevolent people were opposed to it.
The walls were knocked down, the marchioness got ill and died. This occurred in 1724. Meanwhile, the opinion was formed and the separatist movement kept on growing...
We will see the influences under which separation could finally be achieved, as Providence always anticipate the religious feelings of the people. God never fails to incite the man who must carry out His work.
Lord Chavany, prior of Vignonnet, who found too painful the service of the church of the Roc that had no presbytery, started around 1780 the enlarging of the chapel of Antignac and attracted little by little the parishioners. His nephew François Chavany, priest of Vignonnet during the French Revolution continued the work of his predecessors.
But if the inhabitants of la Daille chose Antignac so readily, those of Salsignac - small close priory suppressed in 1790 - wanted to keep their autonomy (one still knows today how much they care about it). As for the inhabitants of Muradès, they expressed strongly their dissatisfaction. They remained very attached to the church of the Roc, which was their secular church and where rested their dear dead. In addition, they felt reluctant to go to Antignac, where a bad wooden footbridge would sometimes prevent them from crossing la Sumène river.
The separatist movement made his way into the mind of the majority of the inhabitants and one inevitably went towards separation.
In 1792 Muradès formed a municipality.
In 1827, Muradès was compelled to share with la Daille (sections of Antignac) the same mayor, the same priest and the same church, although no fusion in the minds could be achieved. The inhabitants of Muradès always had on the Antignac market a strong will to gather in the church where they always stood on the southern side. When one of them died, they would never allow his ashes to be mixed with those of a dead person from Antignac. Whenever the priests of Antignac, who wanted to show an apparent fusion between the two sections, claimed for only one cemetery and refused to bury a dead person from Murades in the cemetery of the church of the Roc, the family of the dead, although moved by Christian feelings prefered to renounce to the last tributes paid by the church rather than to have his dead buried in the cemetary of Antignac. The son Noël de Lauzeral and many others asked to be buried in Menet.
Division thus was strongly marked, and it was completed by the long fight between the Armand family from Antignac and the Noël family from Lauzeral. Father Noël, priest of Saint-Pierre de Chaillot stood up for this brother and took in hand the work of separation. The latter, while on holidays at his family's, invited the inhabitants of Muradès to build a church. He would help them financially and would find in Paris the sufficient resources. On a beautiful day, everyone put himself at work. A generous family of la Monselie (the Noël family) gave the land necessary to the site, and the building of the church started in 1854 at the expenses of Mr Noël and the inhabitants, was carried on and completed after the legacy of Mrs Duthu.
We will report the story of this legacy hereafter making sure to record all its details.